About the Granville Island Theatre District
The Granville Island Theatre District Society is a non-profit society founded by Boca Del Lupo and Carousel Theatre for Young People with the vision to create a robust, lively theatre district on Granville Island. Our goal is to embrace innovation in the arts by creating a more dynamic, risk-enabling and resilient cultural community as defined in Granville Island’s 2040 plan.
The five guiding principles of the GITD are:
- Connecting Audiences and Artists through facilitating interchange between audiences and artists to create a more fulsome experience where both where audiences feel “at home” in the theatre, and artists are empowered to create relevant work;
- Nurturing Collaboration between artistic companies that ensures heightened access to resources, bolsters creativity, and creates a sense of shared purpose. We succeed together;
- Encouraging Artistic Integrity by welcoming artistic practice that is innovative, relevant, and diligent;
- Cultivating Creative Opportunities for production, development of work, and development of practice that enhances the local industry and encourages artistic excellence; and
- Prioritizing Placemaking by putting the community at the centre of our work and making the user experience our priority. We will strive to enhance the community orientation, adaptability, responsiveness, and inclusiveness of all GITD-managed facilities.
You are a dynamic mover-and-shaker who is passionate about the performing arts in Vancouver. You enjoy leading and thrive in an energetic, fast-paced environment. You love being hands-on and get things done efficiently and independently with a high level of detail, and combine this with strategic long-term planning. You want to play a leading role in shaping the future of the Vancouver performing arts community.
The Cultural Concierge, reporting to the Granville Island Theatre District (GITD) Board, serves as a liaison between GITD and the Greater Vancouver cultural community in order to provide access to GITD venues (Performance Works, Studio 1398 and The Waterfront Theatre). The Cultural Concierge coordinates with venue staff to provide fully professional venue management services, and is responsible for the creation and implementation of a robust marketing plan to promote the venues and the GITD as a premiere cultural destination.
- Oversee marketing and communications for GITD, including managing online presence by creating and posting all website, social media, and digital newsletter content;
- Collaborate with cultural partners to promote cultural events taking place on Granville Island;
- Manage the booking calendars for all three performance venues in collaboration with the Venue Managers of Performance Works and the Waterfront Theatre;
- Advance the identities of each of the three venues as defined by the GITD Board of Directors.
- Liaise with Granville Island Cultural Partners, securing their grandfathered perennial dates;
- Actively rent all three performance venues, prioritizing access to non-profit performing arts groups for weekly rentals;
- Liaise with Venue Managers of the Waterfront Theatre and Performance Works as to rental inquiries and needs;
- Execute rental contracts and corresponding invoices for all venue rentals for Studio 1398, Performance Works and the Waterfront Theatre;
- Act as Venue Manager for Studio 1398, answering technical and client inquires, creating daily schedules and scheduling and managing technicians and front of house personnel for this venue, as well as facilitating access for rental clients as needed;
- Collaborate with GITD Board on strategic planning;
- Attend regular GITD Board meetings to report on activities;
- Maintain financial records, oversee bookkeeper, and prepare financial reports for the GITD Board and CMHC Granville Island;
- Provide office administration, including maintaining annual budget, order supplies, coordinate janitorial services for the venues, maintain filing system, and other related duties;
- Other duties as fits successful candidate’s experience and skills and the needs of the GITD.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in a management position, preferably in the arts;
- Familiarity with the theatre, dance and performing arts community in Vancouver;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Previous experience managing schedules, contracting, and HR management;
- Ability to prioritize and work independently in a leadership role;
- Asset: bookkeeping capabilities including, Accounts Receivable and Payable, staff payroll, and other related skills
- Asset: previous venue management experience
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000 per annum plus extended health and dental benefits
Anticipated Start Date: September 17, 2018 or as mutually agreed upon.
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and letter of intent by August 31, 2018 at 5 pm to: email@example.com. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will be held in confidence.