Gateway Theatre is seeking a Technical Director (posting revised).
The Technical Director reports to the Production Manager and collaborates with all production personnel to ensure efficient and effective technical operations of Gateway productions, presentations and venue partnerships.
The Technical Director also provides information and support to the Associate Manager in advancing rentals and guidance to the Education Manager on Academy productions and personnel.
This individual should be a pro-active leader who supervises work while building engagement and trust with colleagues through clear communication, shared comprehension and consistent follow-through.
The TD must be able to understand the processes of different collaborators and empathize with their needs, while adhering to Gateway schedules, budgets, values, procedures and policies.
This individual’s interpersonal skills and judgment are critical in ensuring the entire production team is successful and supported throughout the process on a pro-active basis.
- Anticipation of logistical issues and proactive analysis provided to the Production Manager and Associate Manager.
- Regular and prompt communication with collaborators.
- Costing analysis of preliminary and completed designs to create work schedules, equipment lists and supply lists.
- Coordinate and facilitate the work of artists such as stage crew, construction crew, designers, directors, chorographers and stage managers as it relates to technical operations during rehearsals, setup, technical rehearsals, strike and restore.
- Supervision, leadership and professional development of artists such as stage crew and construction crew.
- Present during pre-production, production and post-production activities. Available on an on-call basis between opening and closing performances to troubleshoot issues with stage crew and stage management.
- Consultation and advice regarding maintenance of stage equipment, supplies, operations and capital expenditures.
- Coordinate acquisition and transportation of equipment and supplies.
- Advance logistical needs for productions, presentations and venue partnerships.
- Approving timesheets and recording costs.
- Assisting the Academy with their productions as needed, including but not limited to mentoring emerging artists.
- Maintain and update building technical drawings and specifications, including Vectorworks drawings.
- Other Duties as mutually agreed.
Candidates will be short listed on the basis of the following qualifications:
- Post – Secondary education in Stagecraft
- Experience as a Technical Director in a rentals venue or at a producing company
- Experience as a skilled Stagehand - e.g.; craftsperson, technician, crew chief or department head.
- Competency in creative problem solving technical and artistic challenges.
- Competency with spreadsheets.
Assets are not required to be eligible for the position; however any of the assets below might be considered when prioritizing a short listed candidate over a similarly qualified candidate.
- Experience as a Technical Director in a rentals venue and at a producing company
- Driver’s Licence – min CL5 to drive company over height cargo van.
- Letters of recommendation from a theatre company for work in a coordinating or supervisory position.
- Construction Drawing/drafting experience and/or portfolios of same
- Familiarity with scenic construction techniques and cost estimation.
- Experience with Google Drive
- Samples of spreadsheets using formulas
- Arts Administration experience
- Familiarity with IATSE, VMA and/or CAEA terms and conditions.
- Additional training in leadership or administration.
Extended benefits, including pension.
Application Deadline: June 21, 2018
Job Start: July 23, 2018
Region: Lower Mainland, BC, Canada
Job Status: Permanent, Full Time
How to Apply:
Email a single PDF file containing your entire application to Josef Chung, Production Manager, email@example.com
Any CV’s, cover letters, resumes and reference materials should be inside the file, but the file may contain web links to any portfolios.
We appreciate every expression of interest but can only commit to contacting candidates that are selected for interview.
Please advise us if you need accessibility accommodated (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting space) to participate in this process.
About Gateway Theatre
Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding professional theatre and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts.
Incorporated in 1982, Gateway has grown into one of the largest professional theatre companies in the Lower Mainland and is led today by Artistic Director Jovanni Sy.
We serve the community through professional live theatre productions, theatre education for youth, and community venue rentals.
The venue houses a 540-seat proscenium theatre, a 100-seat black box theatre, a rehearsal studio, and administration space.
Gateway is a member of PACT, uses C.A.E.A. and V.M.A. performers and is an employer of I.A.T.S.E. stagehands.