The Arts Club Theatre Company is Canada’s largest not-for-profit urban theatre company. Now in its 54th season, the Arts Club offers professional live theatre at three venues, as well as on tour throughout the province.
We are seeking a creative, forward thinking dynamo to work in our Artistic department in the position of Artistic Associate, New Play Development and Professional Community Engagement. The person in this role will be responsible for the new play development programs at the Arts Club. This will include managing all new play development activities, and acting as dramaturg. This position will head activities intended to engage with British Columbia’s professional theatre community, through company and individual residencies at the Arts Club, and professional development activities for artists. The Artistic Associate will oversee and coordinate administrative and artistic aspects of their department. This position reports directly to the Artistic Director. The Artistic Associate will support the Artistic Director in new artistic endeavors. There is the opportunity for occasional outside artistic work with this position.
Responsibilities, to include:
New play development
- Including dramaturgy, leading workshops and stewarding relationships with playwrights
- Reviewing new play submissions and providing recommendations to the Artistic Director and responding to playwrights about their work
- Brainstorming new projects
- Creating and managing submission policy inquiries and general communication for new work.
- Establishing a Playwrights’/Creators’ Unit
- Forging relationships with other theatre companies for rolling world premieres, coproductions, collaboration, etc.
- Attending conferences specific to new play development
- Leading ReAct (our new play development series)
- Coordinating all administrative and production logistics for ReAct
- Participating as director/dramaturg in ReACT
- Helping AD in general season planning, reading scripts, etc.
- Animating space with programming outside of subscription model
Professional Development for the BC Theatre Community:
- Working with Director of Education and the Education & Outreach Associate to connect with the artistic community and community at large
- Brainstorming and implementing ways to connect with artistic community through professional development activities
- Moderating some post show discussions, town hall discussions
- Supporting lectures, special events
- Recommending artists for workshops, LEAP, ReACT., etc.
- Liaising with companies in our residence program, as well as any individual artistic residencies
- Assisting with writing grants
- Writing grants for specific new play development activities
- Setting and managing the new play development budget in collaboration with the Artistic Director
- Record keeping, office admin for new play development, residencies etc.
- Administering the Bill Millerd Artist Fund application process
- Sharing information about plays in development & residencies, with the rest of the company for larger dissemination
Assists Artistic Director as needed:
- Leads initiatives as directed by AD to improve and expand artistic process
- Some administrative assistance
- A passion for new play development and an interest in the professional development of other artists
- Minimum 3 to 5 years working as a professional director and dramaturg on new works
- Experience working as an arts administrator
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage budgets
- Experience liaising with production teams
The Artistic Associate will have excellent communication and organization skills and the ability to maintain a position attitude in stressful situations.
The Artistic Associate will be passionate about inclusive and diverse artistic practices.
Start date: On or around April 30. This position will start part-time and transition full time for the beginning of the 2018-2019 season in September 2018.
Compensation: $55,000 - $57,000 per annum, benefits after three months.
Please submit cover letter and resume by Friday, April 6, 2018.
Arts Club Theatre Company, Human Resources
Contact Name: Ms. Teddy Forsyth |
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.