The Firehall Arts Centre is seeking a full-time House Technician to join our team. In our 35th year, the Firehall Arts Centre is a 136-175 seat flexible black box studio theatre which produces and presents a full season of theatre and contemporary dance, and also rents the performance space to local theatre and dance companies.
The House Technician is responsible for the implementation and upkeep of lighting, projection, sound and scenic elements, as directed by the Technical Director/Production Manager on a per-show basis, following practices in accordance with Worksafe BC and theatrical industry standards. The House Technician supervises technical crews during set up and strike of productions – primarily in the area of lighting and set – and acts as the cue-based sound and lighting operator during performances. The House Technician will be the lead for technical show notes and will take responsibility for maintaining the technical elements in a show beyond the opening performance. The House Technician will also advise the Firehall Senior Executive and Technical Director/Production Manager on ongoing maintenance needed and lead a yearly maintenance cycle. The House Technician will have a flexible schedule and must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• College or university degree or diploma in Theatre Production or equivalent experience.
• A minimum of two years’ professional experience as a Theatre Technician.
• Broad knowledge of theatrical procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of lighting equipment.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Detail oriented.
• Able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to read technical drawings.
• ETC board programming.
• QLab programming (sound/ projection).
• Basic carpentry.
• Working knowledge of digital sound consoles.
• Working knowledge of rigging.
• Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office.
• Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates, including: WHMIS, Occupational First Aid Level I, BC llDriver’s License, LPEC, Firearms certificate
• Experience with Cad or Vectorworks is an asset.
To apply for the position, please send resume and cover letter to The Firehall Arts Centre, 280 East Cordova Street, Vancouver, BC, V6A 1L3, or email to email@example.com The deadline for applications is Feb. 15, 2018. No phone calls please. We thank all who express interest in this position, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The job is salaried at $32,000 to $35,000 depending on experience with medical and dental benefits. The Firehall Arts Centre is committed to employment equity.