(temporary leave position until Nov 2nd 2018)
The Arts Club Theatre Company is Canada’s largest not-for-profit urban theatre company. Now in its 54th season, the Arts Club offers professional live theatre year-round at three venues: the Granville Island Stage on Granville Island, the Goldcorp Stage at the BMO Theatre Centre, and the restored Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage on Granville at West 12th, as well as on tour throughout BC.
The Arts Club Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for the position of Head Dresser. We are seeking a creative, out-going, enthusiastic person who loves a challenge. This is a Part-Time Regular position under the supervision of the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage Technical Director. Scheduling of this position will be as required, depending on the specific demands of each production. This is a unionized position under the Arts Club Theatre Company/I.A.T.S.E. 118 Collective agreement.
Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist designers and the Head of Costumes with the respective needs while in the theatre
- Pre and post show wardrobe set up, including distribution of laundry and dry cleaning, sending show repair notes for wardrobe maintenance staff, pack up of laundry and dry cleaning, costume pre-sets for actor changes, any repair notes that can be accomplished on site.
- Works with the Head of Costumes, Costume Designer, and Technical Directors in planning for the distribution of the costumes, and quick change areas, when the costumes first arrive at the theatre.
- Keep track of costumes and their placement during a production, provide appropriate documentation
- Help establish quick change areas, rehearsing and refining costume changes with actors
- Pre-emptive maintenance, including repairing and replacing costumes
- Ability to put on wig preps, properly apply and secure wigs, change wigs during the show, remove wigs post show, clean and block lace fronted wigs, daily maintenance and refreshing of wigs
- Apply facial hair, including taped and spirit gummed pieces, remove, clean and re-block facial pieces pre and post show
- Assist other stage crew during show (e.g. during scene changes)
- Give regular feedback on status of work as well as estimate assigned work
- Keep inventory on backstage running stock, prepare reports as needed and order supplies
- Ensure proper use, organization and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment
- Assist with occupational safety and health of workers; keep work area safe, tidy and hygienic
- Broad knowledge in theatrical procedures, problem solving, tools and theatre products
- Proficient working knowledge of costume maintenance (sewing and mending experience)
- Able to lead assigned running crew (dressers and wigs) during technical rehearsals and run of show
- The ability to think quickly and remain calm in fast changing situations
- Able to work in a fast pace environment maintaining a positive attitude in stressful situations
- Able to climb stairs and carry weight of up to 25 lbs. (repeatedly)
- Proven extensive experience dressing in professional theatre
- Proven knowledge and experience with styling, maintaining and applying wigs and facial pieces
The Head Dresser will be pro-active, possess good organizational and time management skills, plus have excellent communication skills. The successful candidate will be personable and diplomatic in dealing with cast, stage managers, crews and all other staff.
Start date: On or around Nov 27th 2017.
Compensation: Hourly wage is $27.50 as per the collective agreement.
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 14, 2017.
We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.